Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Innovative frame construction for pre-wired foundations

I used pre-wired wax foundations during my study in USA (very long ago 😉). I always missed such possibilities in our AŽ hive. I did innovative design and tested in my hives as well with the student Alen Skubin for his undergraduate thesis. Since we were not able to buy prewired foundations in Slovenia, we made them by our self. Alen prepared special device to do that. You can check English abstract and figures in his thesis (most interesting from Fig.17 to Fig. 32). I wrote about that also in the book. Yesterday I did honey extraction from few such combs and it went great like Alen described. Here is link to mentioned thesis:
http://www.digitalna-knjiznica.bf.uni-lj.si/zootehnika/vs_skubin_alen.pdf
This works great in classical arrangements of frames in AŽ hive.
Such a frame from my experimental hive. When it is built it is ridged enough and flow nicely over round bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment